NLR Parks and RecreationStar of the Silver Screen

Star of the Silver Screen

The Old Mill was filmed in the opening scenes of the famous award-winning movie, Gone With the Wind, which was released in 1939.  Although it is not known why David Selznick of Selznick Studios chose the Old Mill, it is believed to be the only remaining structure from the movie.

The Old Mill was honored on the fiftieth anniversary of the movie. It was also the site of the unveiling of the Gone With the Wind commemorative stamp. Through the years, stars from the movie such as Rand Brooks (Charles Hamilton) and Ann Rutherford (Carreen O'Hara) have visited the Mill.

Attesting to its popularity, postcards featuring the Old Mill have been circulated all over the world. It is constantly being photographed and has become a popular site for outdoor weddings. Pugh Memorial Park and the Old Mill serve as hosts for over 200 weddings and 100,000 visitors each year. Please join the thousands of visitors who enjoy the vanished era that has gone with the wind.